Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Where did the winter go?

It's minus one here right now. Yes, you read correctly: -1 degree Celcius on Dec 6 in Dawson, Yukon Territory. I've let the fire go out and the dogs have been out for hours. Yesterday, in about -15 I walked down into town with only my jeans and some thin sweat pants underneath, no snowpants. Today I think I'll wear no second layer! I know, I know. You're thinking, "slow down, Lynne. Don't get too carried away. It's still -1." But really, once you get used to the cold, you really get used to it. I could run around nekkid outside now and not even get the shivers, I swear. It's hard to believe just last week it got to -47 or something silly like that...and stayed there for days! I wonder if this will affect the ice? I guess people here probably don't want it to stay this warm for long.

Anyways, I just needed to take a break from last philosophy paper. It's my last one and worth 40% of my mark. Unfortunately, I put my back out for the first time in at least a month, if not more, and so am currently high as a kite on T3s. Who knows how this will affect my paper. Maybe it will be especially creative, perhaps it will be incoherent. I guess I should be asking myself those same questions about this post. I guess it may disappear magically when I come down and have had a chance to review it.

I know you guys are wondering why the usual pictures have been absent and replaced by long rambling boring-as-hell commentaries. I actually have an explanation for this: Scott has had the camera for the past three days with him while he's at a workshop. He's making a traditional bow and arrow. I'll hopefully have pics of it later today or tomorrow. I'll also try to post a pic of the beautiful winter scene laid out before us. It's quite spectacular, I tell you. Even though the hours of sunlight have become more and more limited as the 24 hour darkness draws near.

Nothing too exciting going on. I'm gonna housesit for a few days down the hill and I'll be subbing the next two afternoons. Call it being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I walked in to the reading recovery room yesterday after school with the kid I tutor to pop some popcorn in their microwave and the grade two teacher and the reading recovery/art teacher I sub for regularly while she gets more training were trying to figure out how to solve their dilemma. The RR teacher had a terrible toothache and needed to go to Whitehorse to the dentist but was supposed to be housesitting for the Grade two teacher while her and her family were in Whitehorse. Suddenly I have a busy weekend. Add that to company tonight, games nights tomorrow and Saturday night, Scott doing more training for the radio station, and getting my papers done for school and an exam coming up in ten days and holy shit. Good thing these T3s have caffiene in them.

Enough said.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zoe said...

With the windchill it's supposed to be about -1 F tomorrow. Oh, I'm in Indiana btw. I'm such a wimp. Last week we went from 50 F to in the teens overnight With the windchill I'm sure it was well below zero. I've been in long johns the last couple of days.

Good luck with your paper.

We just got Hunters and Gatherers, and Betrayal at House on the Hill today. BP has become a tanga.com junkie. Phollower and his wife are going to come for dinner and games next week.

7:44 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good news, the Conservative motion to reopen the same-sex marriage issue has just been voted down. Once again in Canada saner heads have prevailed.

12:42 PM PST  
Blogger Zoe said...

Maybe I'll become a canadian after all.

2:11 PM PST  
Blogger Jay said...

Hey guys, I lost your email address!

We haven't had water for like 2 months and we're tired of it, so we changed our flights to leave 4-5 days early! Hee hee!

I guess we won't be able to meet up on Dec 21, then, which is disappointing. I guess we'll see you in Dawson, or down here again sometime! You're always welcome!

1:18 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home