Wednesday, November 29, 2006

It's Getting Dark Here

Well, it's almost 11:30 am and no sign of the sun, though it should have risen an hour ago. It's just getting light out, in fact. And I see that the sun sets at a quarter to four. I guess the darkness of winter in the far north is upon us once again. That's okay, we're well prepared: we have our vitamin d, lots of games, musical instruments, books, two new magazine subscriptions, and head lamps. Oh, and guess what? It's snowing again. I just now noticed. That means warmer temperatures: it's only -25 out right now and it feels like a giant reprieve from the -45 weather we had last week. I'm not even putting a jacket or mitts on to take the dogs outside! I got an IM from Moe yesterday asking me what she needs to do to keep her fingers warm (it was -6 there yesterday), that her gloves were just not cutting it. MITTS! I told her. When I lived down there I thought mitts were for little kids-you know, the kind with the string that attached them and runs through your coat sleeves so you don't lose them. Well, I love my mitts with the string! Your hands would turn black and fall off up here if you didn't wear mitts. And if you didn't have the string you might get stuck somewhere with only one mitt and then you still lose a hand. Aaahhh, the joys of winter. I guess I'll have to buy her her first pair of adult sized mitts for Christmas. And if she moves up here I'll have to get her some mukluks, too. They rock. I haven't taken them off for days, except to sleep. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm inside or outside: 85 degrees or -45 degrees, makes no difference to my toes with my mukluks. Jeez-they should be paying me commission, huh?

Well, it would appear that I truly do not have anything of any substance to write here today so I'll just keep babbling on and you can always choose to navigate to another link

Our new dog, Honey, is doing very well. She loves me to death and is starting to figure out that Scott's pretty nice, too. She's so affectionate without being demanding. She'll just come sit next to you and wait to be pet. Everything still scares her though, especially Scott with his big boots and loud, crashing way of doing things. Everytime he puts the dishes away I think she's going to have a heart attack. But there is definate improvement. I don't know if she'll ever be able to socialize with strangers, but she obviously will never bite anyone or anything and she has lots of love for her pack (me, Scott, Milo, Khan, and Max-even our friend CJ's dogs seem to be included in that pack as they visit all the time). I see her tail wagging more and more. What a good choice we've made in her. I had to pull what appeared to be a big thorn out of her back this morning...it was really stuck in there and I had to reef on it...it must have hurt her-she bled a bit- but didn't react to what I was doing at all. In fact, she seemed almost grateful. The next test will be our trip to Whitehorse in December. That might prove overwhelming for her but we don't have much choice in the matter. At least she likes riding in the van-of course, Milo liked the van too until we made him spend a month travelling in it in the summer. Not he's not so thrilled about it.

Christmas is nearly upon us. We're going to try to not be so consumption-driven this year. We're making home made gifts as much as possible. We are trying to save money to buy a house. In fact, Scott got pre-approved for a mortgage yesterday. This is all very exciting indeed and hopefully next Christmas will be spent hibernating in our very own little cabin in the woods. So if you want to visit come soon so we have space to put you up:)

I guess that's enough of my boring life today. I just felt like I needed to post something-I have noticed that my favorite bloggers have not been posting much lately and I wanted to make them feel guilty:) My message to them (and you know who you are) is this: we are all cold and bored and at least need something to fill our time with. If I can share my boredom then you too can share yours.

1 Comments:

Blogger Phollower said...

If I'm one of those bloggers to which you're referring, fine, I'll post something. But remember, you asked for it. Please don't expect your boredom to go anywhere anytime soon.

9:11 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home