Monday, February 20, 2006

some interesting quest news, as brought to my attention by north pole girl

Quest vets' ruling ridiculous, says musher
Last updated Feb 20 2006 12:45 PM CSTCBC News
A Yukon Quest musher told he had to give his dogs extra rest has withdrawn from the race, saying judges were being unfair.
Hugh Neff officially scratched from the 1,600-kilometre Quest on Saturday, after being told by race officials he had to let his dogs stay at Dawson City an additional 18 hours.
This is the second time in six years Neff has had to stop because of concerns veterinarians had with his dogs.
CBC COVERAGE: Yukon Quest 2006 "The team as a whole wasn't responding appropriately to treatment over the last 36 hours," says Kathleen McGill, the race's head veterinarian.

'I feel like I'm being totally disrespected'– Hugh Neff"The recommendation was made to hold team longer so they continue to get treated and then be evaluated again before they would launch out to see if these dogs would improve."
McGill refused to elaborate on the specific condition of the dogs, citing a doctor-client relationship. However, she did say the animals weren't responding to antibiotics or foot treatment.
Neff admits his dogs did need some work, but says that they were fine coming into Dawson City. He calls the race officials' 18-hour stopover order "ridiculous" and says his previous run-in with race officials may be a factor.
In 2001, veterinarians told Neff to stop racing when they found his dogs' paws were in poor condition. Despite the ruling he proceeded on the trail to Fairbanks, and he was disqualified.
Neff says the vets and the race officials aren't being fair.
"My earlier years I was like king of the mountain, 'you don't know my dogs, I know my dogs'," he says of his old attitude. "Where now I really look to the vets for information and I think they're worried about me not being credible for the race. Which I think is laughable, I feel like I'm being totally disrespected."
Neff says he would sue the Yukon Quest if he could afford to.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, it's truly quite an odd situation. I've also found Neff's blog here so you can learn more about things from his point of view: http://www.laughingeyeskennel.blogspot.com/
It seems to be true what some say - the Yukon Quest is no more what it used to be...
Well, things change I guess.

Anyway congrats to the winner!

Again, thanks greatly for photos (you lucky girl! :) ).

Warm hugs,
NPG

12:22 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home