Friday, September 01, 2006

Going to see the Caribou

So, instead of going to Inuvik with the Vet, I traded jobs with his previous assistant so he could go (I have a lot of schoolwork to do, not to mention getting the Breakfast Program up and running this year). So I've spent the last couple of days "babysitting" for the folks who won the Percy DeWolfe (big dog sled race) this year. How cool is that? Nobody's really sure how many dogs they have...around 40 right now is a pretty good guess as they have another musher's dogs there and also 7 puppies. It's all very exciting...oh yeah, they have two great kids, too! It's somewhat intimidating to have to feed all those dogs and "scoop their poop" but it's a really neat experience.

So, because I didn't go to Inuvik, we have a three day weekend! We're going to go see the Caribou herd that we missed last year up the Dempster. This is really important as it may not be around much longer if the US decides to drill for oil on their calving grounds. Really sad...there's only enough oil there for about 6 months but they are so greedy they are going to do it anyways, even if it means wiping out the last giant herd of Caribou (140,000..I think). This is ANWR I'm talking about if anybody wants to look it up. It's a pretty big deal up here. The first nations groups require the Caribou to maintain their lifestyles. Anyways....we're going to go try and see them while we can. My boss was up a week ago and brought pics. There were 6 grizzlies follwing behind them at that time. I can't wait...but it's gonna be cold.

So there will be lots of pics to come on Tuesday.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. And I'm sorry if any of you are feeling ignored: it's just a busy time of year here. We still love you. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home